The bSecure team is pleased to launch the bSecure Remote Access VPN (Virtual Private Network) service, using the Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect software. This service allows you to securely access the UC Berkeley network from outside of campus and encrypts the information sent through the network. This service replaces the Cisco AnyConnect VPN service.
Take Action: If you are currently using Cisco AnyConnect VPN, please install the bSecure Remote Access VPN before Sept. 30, 2019, when the Cisco VPN service will be retired.
How to Install
If your computer has managed Berkeley Desktop for Windows or macOS, you can install the "GlobalProtect VPN" from the Self Service portal.
If you have admin access to your computer, download and install the GlobalProtect VPN client. Select detailed installation instructions based on your operating system:
What to Expect
- Unlike the Cisco VPN, the bSecure VPN will require you to authenticate using login using your CalNet credentials. You will login with your CalNet ID and passphrase and do the 2-Step (using Duo) to connect.
- Similar to the current VPN, you will need to pick a gateway (tunnel) when you connect. The default option is Split Tunnel, which most of you will use. If you are accessing Library journals however, use the Library Access and Full Tunnel option.
- View all gateway / tunnel options and portal options
Why change VPN services?
- The Cisco VPN software is at end-of-life and will no longer be supported.
- The bSecure VPN is more secure: it requires you to use your CalNet ID and 2-Step to login similar to how you log into most applications on campus.
- The bSecure VPN service is faster than the Cisco VPN.
If you encounter any issues, please contact IT Client Services:
- Submit a ticket
- Call: (510) 664-9000
Or check out the Knowledge Base
Thank you for your patience and partnership as we continue to make improvements to better serve our campus community.
Larry Conrad, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information OfficerJeremy Rosenberg, Chief Information Security Officer