To our One IT colleagues,
The fall semester was a busy time for the Reimagining IT (Re IT) Implementation Program and the One IT Community. Key program progress and highlights include:
- Foundational Tactics: We launched and supported 13 foundational Reimagining IT Strategic Plan tactics (projects), many of which have been presented in Open Seminars and featured in the Progress section of our Re IT website. We thank all of the IT professionals who are leading and participating in these key projects!
- Campus Leadership: We have met with and reviewed the plan with almost all of the new senior leaders on campus: Chancellor Carol Christ; EVCP Provost Paul Alivisatos; VC Administration Marc Fisher; VC Finance Rosemarie Rae; Interim VC Student Affairs Steve Sutton; VC Undergraduate Education Cathy Koshland; and Vice Chancellor Equity and Inclusion Oscar Dubon. In addition, we have met with with existing IT governance committees: IT Strategy Committee (ITSC) and Research Teaching Learning Technologies Committee (RTLTC).
- New IT Governance structure for the Strategic Plan: We created the Strategic Leadership Council (SLC) and invited 16 individuals representing IT across campus to join. The SLC kicked-off in November. The council will help to update the Strategic Plan, define and choose the right measures of success for the plan’s three central goals, monitor and choose and highest priority Tactics (projects) that will help us realize the plan’s goals, and give overall advice on the Re IT program to best support the campus and the One IT community. Meet SLC Members
- Defining Measures of Success: We solicited input from all of the above individuals and groups to help us pin down the key measures of success for three central goals of the Strategic Plan. The measures of success will help us make strategic decisions, choose tactics, and evaluate our progress through 2020.
As we look ahead to the spring semester, we see the following key work ahead of us:
- Communications and Engagement: We will continue to hold Open Seminars and send email communications to keep the One IT community informed. The first Open Seminar for 2018 is already scheduled for Feb. 1, at 10:30 in Sibley Auditorium Save the Date, and plan to stay for pizza lunch with your colleagues.
- Publishing the Measures of Success: The SLC will use these to evaluate the current set of projects and determine if other tactics should be initiated this year. Our goal is to publish the measures of success early in 2018.
- Launch New Tactics (Projects): We will kick off new tactics especially related to strategies for Workforce Development and IT services.
- Continue the Conversation with Campus Leadership: Continue campus leader meetings in 2018 --- including the Council of Deans, CAOs, Chairs Council, and Divisional Finance Leaders --- to get their input and feedback on the Reimagining IT Program.
- Campus Strategic Plan: The Chancellor and Provost have launched the development of a UC Berkeley Strategic Plan (the first in a decade). We will align and update the IT strategic plan as this campus plan develops this semester.
- External Review of Campus IT: Reimagining IT is actively partnering with with the external IT review consultants to coordinate analysis. The SLC will serve as one of three groups to give feedback to the consultants as they development recommendation for the campus about IT services as common goods, funding, and governance. We expect to see these recommendations by the end of the spring semester.
- Budget Process: The strategic plan will be used to help inform and make budget decisions this spring as IST and other departments develop their budget proposals for the campus for next fiscal year.
- Update the Plan: We will update the Strategic Plan this summer. Key inputs will be the campus’s developing strategic plan; the budget process; the external review; recommendations from the SLC; and the One IT community’s feedback on year one of implementation.
- Lead from Where We Are: Help IT staff make a difference and LEAD from where you are!
Wishing you all a prosperous and productive new year!
Larry Conrad, Associate Vice Chancellor for IT and Chief Information OfficerDavid Greenbaum, Director, Reimagining IT