What is Project Management?
Project management is the application of knowledge, skills, and techniques to execute projects effectively and efficiently. It is a strategic competency for UC Berkeley, enabling the campus to conduct projects that will achieve important goals. Effective project management is critical to the success of campus IT projects.
Good project management practices:
- Significantly improve the chance of a project meeting its goals and objectives.
- Deliver a project on time and on budget.
- Create a collaborative environment among project team members in which all participants understand the goals and scope of the project and their roles and responsibilities.
- Encourage consistent and effective communications among project team members, campus stakeholders, and vendors.
- Create high-quality and efficient services for the campus.
- Insure project resources are deployed efficiently and effectively.
- Enable early identification and management of project risks to eliminate or reduce potential negative impacts.
- Support the recognition of new opportunities and benefits for the campus as the project progresses.