Apply for STEP
If you are an undergraduate or graduate student in need of hardware or internet access:
- Complete this application to be considered for a free loaner laptop, Wi-Fi hotspot, or other peripherals (e.g. webcam, headphones, etc.).
- We will review your application and determine eligibility based on a combination of factors which include financial need, previous support received, and instructional role (e.g. GSI).
- STEP is accepting applications on a rolling basis throughout the 2020-2021 academic year, while supplies last. Eligible applicants will typically receive their device(s) by mail within three weeks of their application. Check out our FAQs page to learn about our curbside pickup option on campus.
- Most eligible students who submitted an application by the July 15, 2020 priority deadline will receive a device shipped via FedEx by the start of Fall 2020 instruction (note: we are unable to ship internationally).
- Have a question? Check out our STEP FAQs.
Free / Low Cost Technology Resources
- If you are a disabled student in need of technology, consider applying for a DSP technology grant.
- Consider taking advantage of student discounts on devices from major retailers. Ensure any device purchased meets Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices.
- Access free software, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, and anti-virus protection.
- If you are without reliable home internet, explore these off-campus internet access resources.
Free Training & Information Security
- All students, faculty, and staff with an active CalNet ID have free access to LinkedIn Learning, an online library of on-demand, expert-led instructional videos on a wide variety of topics from using new software to financial planning and everything in between.
- Learn Cybersecurity best practices to protect your data and stay safe online.
Questions about this program should be directed to STEP email@example.com.
STEP is sponsored by the Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Vice Chancellor of Undergraduate Education with funds provided by central campus. Additional funding and operation is provided by the Student Technology Fund.