Apply for STEP
If you are an undergraduate or graduate student in need of hardware or internet access:
- Complete this application to be considered for a free loaner laptop, Wi-Fi hotspot, or other peripherals (e.g. webcam, headphones, etc.).
- We will review your application and determine eligibility based on a combination of factors which include financial need, previous support received, and instructional role (e.g. GSI).
- Submit your application by July 15, 2020 to be reviewed in time for a device to be sent to students via FedEx by the start of Fall 2020 instruction (note: we are unable to ship internationally).
- Notifications about STEP awards will occur by early August.
- Have a question? Check out our STEP FAQs.
Free / Low Cost Technology Resources
- If you are a disabled student in need of technology, consider applying for a DSP technology grant.
- Consider taking advantage of student discounts on devices from major retailers. Ensure any device purchased meets Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices.
- Access free software, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, and anti-virus protection.
- If you are without reliable home internet, explore these off-campus internet access resources.
Free Training & Information Security
- All students, faculty, and staff with an active CalNet ID have free access to LinkedIn Learning, an online library of on-demand, expert-led instructional videos on a wide variety of topics from using new software to financial planning and everything in between.
- Learn Cybersecurity best practices to protect your data and stay safe online.
Questions about this program should be directed to STEP firstname.lastname@example.org.