The mission of the Technology Program Office (TPO) is to plan, foster, and coordinate strategic information technology (IT) projects that serve the needs of the campus community. The TPO provides expert project managers who bring together people, processes, and resources to enable successful project outcomes.
- Manage IT projects using recommended campus methodologies.
- Maximize the benefits of project investments and minimize the risks.
- Set project management methodologies and monitor their effectiveness.
- Lead the campus Project Management Methodology Group (PMMG) community of practice to foster broad use of PM standards campus wide, and to identify ways to improve campus project management practices.
- Review and select tools for project management and project portfolio management.
- Manage project portfolios.
- Manage and communicate the status of the projects in the IST Service Portfolio.
- Communicate the value and benefits of project management.
- Advise on the feasibility and risks of campus IT.
The TPO coordinates the management of multiple resources including staff, funds, knowledge, tools, and methodologies to achieve the agreed upon project objectives. We also serve as a central project management resource for the effective and efficient management of IT projects on the UC Berkeley campus. Services include:
- Project Management - The TPO offers expert project managers to conduct IT projects. The project managers normally work on a recharge basis.
- Consulting - TPO staff provide consulting services from answering general project management questions to assisting in the development of a project charter, risk analysis, or work schedule. This service is provided either free of charge or at the current recharge rate, depending upon the scope of the work.
- Online Methodology and Tools - The TPO has developed, in partnership with other campus stakeholders, a basic project management guide and templates that are based upon the Project Management Institute (PMI) standards.