Meet Our Team
What We Do
IST is the operational arm of the CIO’s team and UC Berkeley’s central IT service organization providing IT services, systems, and support to a diverse group of campus and UC system stakeholders from the following departments:
- Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API) works with individual customers and departments to meet customer needs, providing expert assistance and service management.
- Athletics provides IT support for intercollegiate athletics.
- Data and Platform Services provides database, system and cloud administration services for campus.
- Enterprise Data & Analytics provides enterprise data warehouse services for the campus.
- Infrastructure Services and Telecommunications provides core infrastructure technology services to the campus, a common, reliable, standards-based technical environment, and cyber-infrastructure for research and education. We also provide voice and data services for the campus which includes wired data ports, Wi-Fi, desk phones and cellular service.
IST Areas of Oversight
- Research, Teaching, and Learning (RTL) combines the following teaching and research support groups to improve efficiency, encourage collaboration, and create opportunities to leverage existing resources in new and innovative ways:
- Academic Innovation Studio (AIS) brings together faculty, researchers, graduate students, and service providers to inspire and support experimentation, connect people, and share ideas in an innovative space. Part of the Division of the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education, the AIS serves instructors and researchers across the entire campus community.
- Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) partners with faculty to inspire, enrich, and innovate Berkeley’s collective practice and pursuit of teaching excellence.
- Digital Learning Services (DLS) provides digital learning design, development and delivery services for UC Berkeley faculty, departments and professional schools. From fully online to hybrid and blended digital learning, we partner with CTL, ETS, and RIT to fully support successful teaching and learning in the digital environment.
- Educational Technology Services (ETS) enhances and supports the UC Berkeley academic experience by providing essential, responsive and innovative technology services.
- Research IT (RIT) provides research computing technologies, consulting, and community for the Berkeley campus. Our fundamental goal is to help campus faculty and students with their research by providing the best IT tools as inexpensively as possible.
- KALX Radio broadcasts freeform radio to the SF Bay Area at 90.7 FM and to the world on the internet. You can hear music, news, Cal sports and informational programming produced by UC Berkeley students and community volunteers.
- Student Affairs IT (SAIT) provides technology leadership and support to the Division of Student Affairs; technical support, education, and hands-on learning and leadership opportunities for students; and student advocacy and engagement in campus technology development.
- University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) IT has a dotted reporting line to IST. UDAR IT supports the operation of UC Berkeley advancement by managing the Cal Advancement Data Systems (CADS), the University’s donor and alumni database, and providing the infrastructure necessary for conducting marketing and communication, fundraising, and donor and gift stewardship with the campus’s various constituents. We accomplish these goals by providing and maintaining an integrated ecosystem of information delivery and database management systems.