Travel & Training

The Admin Support Team is available to help schedule and book all work-related travel and/or training. We also work with the Procurement Team once travel/training is completed for reimbursement of any approved expenses. Please contact us directly with any questions:

Travel/Training Requests

Before Travel

1. Complete the Travel/Training Request Form (this is a Google doc, please open the link then go to File > Make a Copy, save the new doc with your last name with the month/year of travel (i.e. Dunn0619). Fill out the form completely and attach to the BearBuy cart you create in the next step. NOTE: If you plan to drive your personal vehicle instead of flying, please note that when the amount of mileage reimbursement exceeds the amount of a comparable airfare, the policy requires us to apply the lower of the two amounts as your reimbursable amount. If you are seeking an exception, please note that on your report. If you're seeking assistance with payment for a conference registration only (no lodging or meal expenses), the form is not required. 

2. Create a BearBuy cart using the Non-Catalog Form and complete the following information:

  • For supplier: add BluCard Tracking
  • Answer question: Does a reportable conflict of interest exist? (No)

  • UC Berkeley Project Manager: (this is a required field so please use: Stephanie Dunn / / 510-642-0226 )
  • For the dropdown to describe the purchase: choose 'none of the above apply'
  • For the question about data security: choose n/a
  • Item information: add your name and the title/dates of the conference 
  • Quantity: 1
  • Unit price: 'from your Travel/Training Request form'
  • Attach your Travel/Training Request form
Next, click on 'add and go to cart' in the top right-hand corner and click 'go.'  On the next page it will bring you to your cart, in the top right-hand corner choose 'assign cart' and search for your supervisor/manager.  

*Note that you only need one cart per trip and you'll want to hang on to the cart number for when it comes time to submit your reimbursement request.* 

3. Your supervisor/manager will route your cart to your unit's Budget Officer for budget check and approval. Directors who report to Jenn Stringer should have their carts routed to her. Directors who work in OCIO have their carts routed to either Jenn Stringer or Liz Marsh.

4. Note that cart approvals can take a few business days. Once the cart is approved and appears on our work-list, the Admin Team will reach out to you to confirm your travel plans and assist with flights/registration/rental car reservation. 

5. At this point, book your own lodging reservation and take note that there is a mandated lodging limit for domestic trips under thirty days which is set at $275 per night (excluding; taxes and fees). When you are unable to secure lodging at $275 per night or less, the traveler must submit additional documentation (in the form of a print-out price comparison within the proximity of the meeting at the time of booking) that supports the higher lodging rate incurred.

After Travel

1. Create your reimbursement report by following the bIT travel reimbursement process 

Note: Other miscellaneous business expenses (e.g., Internet service, meeting supplies, etc.) are reimbursable and are not calculated against the $62 daily maximum for meals and incidentals.  For private car mileage, enter the number of miles to be reimbursed, the reimbursement amount is calculated automatically (employees receive 0.58 cents per mile). 

Important: It can take 7-10 business days to receive your reimbursement.  You will receive it the same method you receive your paychecks (direct deposit or paper check).  Disbursements will reach out to you directly if they need additional information or documentation.
If you need additional support please email:

Travel Related Websites

Travel FAQs

How do I submit a travel/training request in Bear Buy?

To submit a travel/training request, create a cart in Bear Buy, use the “Non-Catalog Form” and attach the Travel & Training Request Form

How do I submit a reimbursement request after returning from travel or training?

Follow the bIT reimbursement process outlined above. 

How much am I able to spend on meals and incidentals per day when traveling?

When traveling within the United States, the maximum daily total for all meal costs is $62. These limits include the cost of food, beverages, labor, sales tax, delivery charges and other service fees.

Am I able to rent a full-size car?

Rental cars should be up to intermediate size only unless there is business justification or no extra cost to upgrade. If the justification is missing or insufficient, an exceptional approval will be required or the expense may be non-reimbursable.