What is IT Service Management?
IT Service Management (ITSM) is a process-based IT management framework intended to align the delivery of IT services with the needs of our customers. ITSM involves a paradigm shift from managing IT as stacks of individual components to focusing on the delivery of end-to-end services using best practice process models.
Purpose and Value for UC Berkeley
- Ensure customers understand where to get information and assistance with IT services, and service level satisfaction is high.
- Incent broad adoption of ITSM principles and practices across campus IT providers.
- Support strong cross-departmental collaboration on process standardization.
- Ensure performance metrics have been established (e.g., incident closure rates), are being tracked, and information exposed through dashboards.
- Use performance metrics to improve services and inform where Continuous Service Improvement (CSI) resources should be focused.
- Align IT priorities and effort with those of the campus customers we support.
- Ensure sustainability of the ITSM processes we have deployed.