Each year, we have the opportunity to acknowledge and reward exemplary performance and contributions by individual employees or teams through the UC Berkeley Staff Appreciation and Recognition (STAR) program. The IST Administrative Support Team serves as the Spot and Achievement awards administrators for IST/OCIO.
Spot Awards are designed to recognize special contributions, as they occur, for a specific project or task. Spot Awards are generally for a special contribution accomplished over a relatively short time period. A Spot Award lets employees know that someone has noticed their noteworthy contribution. At the same time, it recognizes and reinforces the behaviors and values that are important at UC Berkeley.
- Spot nominations may be submitted and reviewed any time during the year. Award approvals are subject to available program funding provided to IST/OCIO by the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance.
- Complete the UC Berkeley Achievement and Spot Award nomination form. The nominator needs to ensure nomination(s) meet all eligibility requirements and criteria for the UC Berkeley Achievement and SPOT Award Program prior to submitting their nomination form.
- Forward the completed and signed form to the Admin Support team (email@example.com). All nominations must have the approval signatures from the nominated staff member's direct supervisor and next level manager.
- The Admin Support Team will review the nominations to make sure they meet the eligibility requirement and award criteria. Nominations that meet eligibility and award criteria requirements will be forwarded to the IST/OCIO Directors for their review and approval within 48 hours.
- The Admin Support Team will coordinate the award process with the staff member's supervisor and ensure that the award is submitted to CSS HR for payment. SPOT award amount is $500 less the campus GAEL assessment of .09%.
Achievement Awards are designed to recognize sustained, exceptional performance and/or significant contributions over an extended period of time that represents a major portion of the employee's area of responsibilities, including performance or project goals above and beyond normal performance expectations.
- Nominations for Achievement Awards are reviewed and approved annually at the combined IST/OCIO Directors' meeting, normally during the 4th quarter of the year after program funding has been received from the Vice Chancellor for Administration.
- Each IST/OCIO Director will share information with the review team explaining the nature of the work performed and indicating whether the nomination is for sustained, exceptional performance and/or significant contributions above and beyond normal performance expectations. Achievement awards may be approved for an individual or team effort.
- The amount of an approved Achievement Award is vetted and agreed to by members of the IST/OCIO Directors team.
Pay It Forward
All IT staff also have the option to Pay It Forward to fellow IT colleagues, a way to thank or celebrate work well done throughout the year.
Please contact Clarissa Fermin at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about staff recognition.