Larry Conrad joined UC Berkeley in February 2013 as Associate Vice Chancellor for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (AVC-IT/CIO), providing strategic oversight of campuswide information technology activities, sponsoring IT committees and working with IT service units across campus.
Larry brings 40 years of experience in the field of information technology and has a diverse background in both university and corporate settings, with extensive experience in research, instructional, and enterprise computing, as well as telecommunications. At UC Berkeley, he oversees the Information Services and Technology (IST) division as well as sets IT direction and coordinates infrastructure and service delivery across the University. He is responsible for IST units which support enterprise applications, enterprise data, research support, teaching and learning, user support, infrastructure, communications, and information security. View Full Bio
Larry sponsors and/or serves as a member on several committtees and advisory groups campus-wide:
- IT Community Council (ITC): The ITC serves as an advisory council addressing campus-wide technology issues and is comprised of a diverse group of departmental IT leaders representing academic and administrative units.
- IT Leadership Group (ITLG): A group of campus IT leaders, some of which have either solid or dotted line reporting relationships with the AVC-IT and CIO.
- IT Strategy Committee (ITSC): The ITSC provides direct oversight of the campus IT governance structure for UC Berkeley, and supports Berkeley’s teaching, research, and service missions by reviewing and evaluating strategies, plans, policies, and investments, regarding the use of information technology (IT), and making recommendations for action.
- Joint Committee on Campus Information Technology (JCCIT): The JCCIT was established to provide faculty input, perspective, and advice to the AVC-IT and CIO about IT initiatives and issues at the University.
- Student Technology Council (STC): This is a student-led, student-run organization that advises the campus AVC-IT and CIO on issues related to student technology.
Larry represents UC Berkeley as the member executive for the following external organizations:
- Common Solutions Group (CSG): Institutions of higher education and higher education IT consortia working together to create a common infrastructure and toolset required for the future of our institutions.
- Educause: Educause is a nonprofit association whose mission is "to advance higher education through the use of information technology."
- Internet2: Internet2 is an exceptional community of U.S. and international leaders in research, academia, industry and government who create and collaborate via innovative technologies. Together, they work to accelerate research discovery, advance national and global education, and improve the delivery of public services. Their community touches nearly every major innovation that defines our modern digital lives—and continues to define “what’s next.”
- Pac-12 CIOs: CIOs from Pac-12 institutions meet a couple times a year to compare notes on the work of our organizations, share ideas, talk about future directions, and provide guidance on potential pitfalls. We also explore opportunities to collaborate on various projects and service offerings.
- Research University CIO Conclave (RUCC): A forum where CIOs from major research universities gather to discuss and exchange ideas on evolving IT trends and practices.
- UC Information Technology Leadership Council: University of California (UC) system-wide planning and coordination of IT activities.