Joining the Campus’ Windows Active Directory Infrastructure gives a group the benefits of integration with many UC Berkeley systems while allowing it to retain considerable autonomy in its local domain.
Data & Platform Services manages the UC Berkeley Active Directory to address issues such as:
- Location-independent access to resources; and
- Microsoft Windows platform manageability and security.
Key Features of the Service
- Managed Infrastructure: Data & Platform Services manages and supports the Windows AD infrastructure including domain controllers and PKI. They also monitor the environment 24/7 and provide a physically secure environment for domain controllers. The savings in asset costs and support staff overhead can be significant.
- Increased Security: The AD infrastructure uses Kerberos, a network authentication protocol designed to provide enhanced security for client/server applications.
- Delegation of Administration: Local IT will have control on their departmental AD OU.
- PKI (Certificates) Infrastructure: PKI integrated with AD.