We will be featuring various Reimagining IT projects and sharing Open Seminar presentations on this page over the course of the coming months to keep the One IT community informed on progress being made on our strategic plan.
Progress Report Archive
- June 21, 2018: ReIT Program Update #13 (below)
- May 22, 2018: ReIT Program Update #12
- April 23, 2018: ReIT Program Update #11
- April 13, 2018: ReIT Update #10: IT Knowledge Management by Marlita Kahn
- March 21, 2018: WorkshopSlide Deck |Notes
- March 15, 2018: ReIT Update #9: IT Service Catalog Analytics by Rita Rosenthal
- Feb. 15, 2018: ReIT Update #8: UX Testing of IT Service Catalog by Daphne Ogle
- Feb. 1, 2018: Open Seminar
- Jan. 31, 2018: ReIT Update #7: Student Computing at Cal by Traci Young
- Jan. 18, 2018: ReIT Update #6: Progress Report & Sneak Peek at 2018 from David Greenbaum
- Dec. 14, 2017: Open Seminar
- Nov. 29, 2017: ReIT Update#5: IT Service Catalog by Rita Rosenthal
- Nov. 8, 2017: ReIT Update #4: Telling Our Story by Jon Conhaim
- Oct. 27, 2017: ReIT Update #3: Aligning Orgs to Support Teaching and Research by Jenn Stringer
- Oct. 12, 2017: Open Seminar
- Oct. 10, 2017: ReIT Update #2: CalNet 2-Step by Matt Wolf
- Sept. 28, 2017: ReIT Update #1: Implementation Updates from David Greenbaum
Happy summer solstice! We bring you this month’s ReIT digest on the longest day of the year and the official start of summer. It was great to see many of you at the One IT Summit, which has become an annual tradition in our community and another opportunity for us to share progress we are making on our strategic plan. We will share a summary of what was presented at the Summit, updates on tactics, and other important info:
We have made an incremental update to the Reimagining IT Strategic Plan. This version of the plan is primarily an update to the Tactics (projects) by which the One IT community is implementing the plan. We have also added a new strategy centered on Diversity and Inclusion. No major changes have been made to the Vision, Objective, Goals, or original six strategies of the July 2017 plan. The changes to this version of the plan include:
Ted-like Talks a Hit at the IT Summit
Thank you to all of those staff who organized and volunteered for the very successful IT Summit! This is a tremendous amount of work and your efforts are much appreciated. The ReIT Program sponsored a two-hour session that included five Ted-like Talks, all of which were well-attended, informative, and provided lots of insights about the terrific work being done by so many in our One IT community to advance the Reimagining IT Strategic Plan. Many thanks to our speakers: Jenn Stringer on the Digital Learning Strategy; Liz Marsh, Gabe Gonzalez, and Barinder Flanagan on the new Diversity and Inclusion Strategy; Jeremy Rosenberg on the Campus Security Strategy; Lyle Nevels on the IT Service Level Assessment Framework; and Jon Conhaim on Telling Our Story. If you were unable to attend, take a few minutes to review the Ted Talk slide deck from these presentations.
Another ReIT tactic, the bSecure Project, was highlighted in a session provided by Alison Henry and Isaac Orr at the summit. The bSecure Project is a joint initiative from the Network Operations & Services (NOS) and Information Security & Policy (ISP) teams. The mission of the bSecure project is to replace aging Campus firewall and VPN technologies, and offer additional threat prevention and enhanced security services on Campus networks. Data Center migration to the new Palo Alto Networks firewall service is well underway, with campus firewalls and VPN services to follow this summer and fall. Take a look at the bSecure presentation and check out the project website for more information.
The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) team is working hard to deliver key Cal Answers reporting solutions. Two projects have recently been added as tactics in the ReIT Plan:
1) Cal Answers Finance will provide interactive financial reporting to all faculty and staff and allow for the retirement of the aging BAIRS reporting system in fall 2018. Most Cal Answers Finance dashboards are already available; for details, see the Implementation Timeline.
2) Cal Answers UCPath Reportingwill ensure that campus users can continue to come to Cal Answers after UC Path goes live in 2019 for trusted HR and payroll reports. Have a question? Check outCal Answers.
Telling Our Story Workshops at Capacity
The third in the series of Telling Our Story workshops was successfully delivered on June 14. Congratulations to Jon Conhaim for reaching this big milestone in the Telling Our Story tactic. The plan is to offer these workshops periodically, so watch for the next series coming up in the next year. If you would like to review the material presented in these workshops, the slide decks are available here: Workshop 1 - Creating Stories for IT Services & Projects | Workshop 2 - Creating Value Propositions with Your Customers | Workshop 3 - Creating & Delivering Presentations about IT Services & Projects
Relive Highlights from the Summit
A message was sent out from Larry Conrad and Jerry Yerardi yesterday to follow up on the summit and ask for feedback on any improvements that can be made for next year. Session materials, photos, videos, and a summary of the day’s events can be found on the summit website: Provide Feedback | Read the News Article | View State of IT deck | Watch Leadership Session Videos | Browse Event Photos | Connect with Exhibit Hall Presenters
Our next ReIT update in July will be a quarterly update from Larry Conrad and will provide a look backward and a look forward as we continue to Reimagine IT for UC Berkeley.
David Greenbaum, ReIT Director